Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI)
OCCA’s mission is “Leading with racial equity, we advocate, communicate, and collaborate to strengthen community colleges for the benefit of Oregonians, particularly those historically underserved or systemically marginalized in higher education.” We have a strong commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) initiatives to strengthen community colleges. The links below provide both information on OCCA’s DEI Committee work and other DEI initiatives through Oregon’s community colleges, as well as educational DEI resources for community college board members and presidents. If you have questions, please contact Oregon Student Success Center Executive Director Dr. Elizabeth Cox Brand.
OCCA DEI Committee:
This official standing OCCA committee strives to provide tools for actively engaging and recruiting people of color in our communities to increase their participation and representation on community college boards of education. The work of the committee also supports OCCA, community colleges and their board members to increase individual and collective learning around racism and bias within our institutions and society.
- ACCT Equity Action Agenda for Community College Governance: This is a guide from the Association of Community College Trustees (ACCT) based on the responsibilities of community college trustees and the college’s leadership to promote policies that support access, affordability, equity and completion for all community college students. College diversity, equity, and inclusivity policies facilitate academic progress and economic and social mobility for all.
- Timeline of Oregon & U.S. Racial, Immigration and Education History – Coaching for Educational Equity
- The Cycle of Liberation – Bobbie Harro
- Interpreting Bias: Calling Out vs. Calling In
- A Framework for Advancing Anti-Racism Strategy on Campus – National Association of Diversity Officers in Higher Education
- Personal Self-Assessment of Anti-Bias Behavior – Anti-Defamation League
- Trauma Stewardship: When Experiencing Overwhelm & Trauma – The Trauma Stewardship Institute 2020
- The Trauma Stewardship Institute’s Tiny Survival Guide
- Toolkit: Communicating About Racial Equity in a Charged Environment
- Why Boards Must Become Diversity Stewards
- College governing boards must weigh in meaningfully on race – Inside Higher Ed
- The Gay and Lesbian Rights Movement – The Oregon Encyclopedia
- Reclaiming Racial Justice in Equity – Change: The Magazine of Higher Learning
- White Supremacy Culture – Still Here